See what changed since the last update
December 1, 2020 (3.1.1)
- IMPORTANT CHANGE: For play/stop, FWsim now uses the Spacebar instead of F1
- Improved lighting on environment
- FWsim can now produce MP4 files when rendering a video (read more about video quality in the FWsim manual)
- Option in 3D world editor to disable the rendering of lines (explanation here).
- Option in 3D world editor to change the ground. You can even add your own ground textures.
- 3D world editor allows greater range of scaling
- “Free camera” rotation is now a bit less sensitive
- When using multiple music cues, snapping to beats now works correctly.
- When you are in the textbox next to a trackbar and press ESCAPE, the previous value is restored. When you press ENTER, the new value is accepted and you will leave the textbox.
- Fix: buttons cut off when using moving camera
- Fix: Sometimes, when clicking a cue, it would stick to the cursor. Or it would move very quickly towards the right, resulting in shows that have one or two cues at very large times, like 1000 hours. (Please note: It is possible that this problem still occurs in some situations. Should the problem still occur, please let us know right away.)
- Fix: On small monitors, when activating color-changing in the effect editor, FWsim would crash
- Pyrodigital firing system added (However, we have only tested on one type of Pyrodigital equipment, so there might be problems. If you try it, please let us know how it goes).
September 15, 2020 (3.1)
- Huge number of new, super realistic effects added:
- Watch demo video of the new effects
- FWsim Basic now has 486 effects
- FWsim Creative Edition includes 1718 effects
- and FWsim Pro comes with 2303 effects
- plus, every edition gives you access to the online fireworks database (as always)
- Please install these extra effects from your license page: Click the “Help” menu and then “License Info and Upgrade”
- Effect Editor: Possibility to adjust brightness over time for stars. For example, you can make stars fade in later, disappear quickly, or fade in very slowly.
- New background sky with higher resolution, ideal for creating 4K videos (in 22.214.171.124)
- New demo show with music (in 126.96.36.199)
- Simulation: The angle of mortars is now slightly randomized, for improved realism. As always, you can switch to perfectly accurate simulation in the preferences.
- Effect Editor: Time Display
- Effect Editor: XLarge stars added
- Various Bugfixes concerning small displays, crossette, crackling, custom position height and data export.
- New, more realistic default colors for stars
- Made the sound for mines more quiet and realistic.
- The Galaxis export now writes module and pin numbers into the file.
- “SkyDirector” firing system renamed to “Pyroneo”
- There is now only one “Cobra” firing system. Previously, there were two “Cobra” options depending on your firmware version. Please note that you need Cobra firmware v4 or later.
- New firing system: Liuyang Happiness
- The effects list in the PDF export can now display the caliber
July 25, 2020 (188.8.131.52)
- Cues can now be copied between shows: Open one show, copy a cue, then open the other show and insert it. (To copy multiple cues between shows, FWsim Pro is required)
- Changed behaviour with fireworks on buildings: Before version 184.108.40.206, when “Set Height” is activated, the fireworks would adjust themselves to be at the actual height of the building. Now, when “Set Height” is activated, the fireworks shoot from exactly the height that was configured.
- Bugfix for FWsim Pro: When a position was set to “Point”, an “End Position” slider would be visible - which makes no sense for points.
July 20, 2020 (220.127.116.11)
- FWsim Pro: new time format for CSV, HTML and PDF export: “hours:minutes:seconds.milliseconds”
- Various bugfixes
July 16, 2020 (18.104.22.168)
- 600mm shell would display as “1mm” in the effects editor
- Crash with certain firing sytems when exporting a show that includes DMX cues
- Pyrosure Export: the music filename is no longer shortened to 12 characters, as it was before
July 1, 2020 (22.214.171.124)
- Fix: Online Fireworks Library Upload
June 29, 2020 (126.96.36.199)
June 28, 2020 (188.8.131.52)
Betatest is finished, this is the public version.
June 28, 2020 (184.108.40.206)
- Fix: Crash when clicking + / - buttons on zoom slider in show editor
- Fix: Issues with PDF export
June 27, 2020 (220.127.116.11)
- Fix: Some stars missing in peony
- Fix: Invisible explosions for shell-of-shells
June 26, 2020 (18.104.22.168)
June 24, 2020 (22.214.171.124)
- French and Italian translation updated.
- Phrase search in Effect Library: If you want to search for an exact phrase, simply write “Red Peony” (including the quotation marks). This will display effects that mention “Red Peony” but not “Peony, Red”. If you omit the quotation marks, both of these examples will be found.
- Various bugfixes (“Rotate” checkbox in Stars, Crash when changing birthtime, layout improvements)
June 19, 2020 (126.96.36.199)
We are now moving into the second phase of our beta test, and we aim for a public release within the next weeks. A big “thank you” to everyone who submitted ideas, bug reports and suggestions! Please keep the feedback coming.
June 17, 2020 (188.8.131.52)
- FWsim now looks much better on displays with high pixel density (many pixels on a small space). If you notice any screens that don’t look right on these displays, or any form of visual errors, please let us know.
- German translation complete. (French and Italian translations will be updated in the next weeks)
- Stars can now be set to 200% speed. This means you can make smaller and quieter bursts that expell faster stars than their explosion strength would usually allow.
- When selecting an effect to insert, the effect selection window now remembers the previously selected effect.
- Effect selection window layout improved, bigger size by default, and its size can now be changed.
- Sidebar width in show editor can be changed.
- When a larger cue completely overlaps a smaller one in the show editor, the smaller one is always displayed on top. This prevents situations where a cue hides behind another cue.
- RFRemotech is now working fine.
- “Select all Cues” feature in Show menu - you can use this, for example, to quickly delete all cues from the show and start again.
June 7, 2020 (184.108.40.206)
- Shape shells (smiley, letters, etc…) - create a Shell and select “Custom Shape”. Click the black image, and FWsim will open MS Paint where you can draw your own shape!
- Cakes can now have multiple parts. This allows combination of different shapes and timings. Use the arrows on the top of the cake editor to move between the different parts and edit them separately.
- New star size “large”, useful for making effects like Dahlias
- User interface improvements based on feedback from beta testers
- Crossette looks nicer now
- Crossette and Crackling receive momentum from the star they are attached to. If a star burns out while it still has considerable speed, the crossette or crackling will continue moving into the same direction.
- Fix: on some graphics cards, sometimes there would be a situation where during video rendering, the 3D world is constantly reloaded
- Fix: invisible geometry on some 3D models.
- Improved stability and performance of video rendering.
Only in FWsim Creative Edition:
- FWsim Creative Edition now allows to put cues on arbitrary heights, and rotate your fireworks in 3D - features previously only available in the Pro edition.
Only in FWsim Pro:
- New firing system: RFRemotech (please note: We’re still working on it and there is one small problem remaining that will be fixed with the next update)
- “Insert show”: Functionality moved to menu bar. Plus, the functionality now inserts all the individual cues from the other show. (In previous versions, it would insert one very large cue containing all the elements).
- Changes to PyroIgnitionControl export: The column headlines are now in English or French; depending on your system language. Also fixed wrong data being exported in one of the columns.
- Channels are automatically updated before label export. (Previously, channels would only automatically update when exporting to firing systems)
- Feature to insert empty cues while playing back the music - by using the hotkey CTRL+G.
- Paper Size option added to PDF plan export
- Label export now works well in combination with chains and steppers.
May 22, 2020 (220.127.116.11)
- Functionality to define beats in music is now available again, and it’s easier to use.
- Fix: Mine Width option missing from Whistle, Farfalle and Tourbillon
- Fix: Timeline was too small on high-resolution displays
- Music beats now show up on top of the timeline
- Chains on steppers now possible
May 3, 2020 (18.104.22.168)
- New option under “Preferences” to make the simulation more accurate. By default, FWsim adds inaccuracies in timing and height of effects, for increased realism. Using this option, you can avoid that and get a more precise simulation with a bit less realism.
- When an update is found, you will see a list of all the changes before deciding whether to update or not.
- Reduced installer size from 180 MB to 135 MB.
- Shortcut CTRL+HOME to go back to beginning of the show.
Only in FWsim Pro:
- The size of comments in the timeline can be changed.
- Support for the proprietary Pyrodigy firing system
- Possibility to import audio events from text file. Each line of the text file corresponds to one event, and each line must exactly match the format “mm:ss:cc”, where “mm” is the number of minutes, “ss” the number of seconds and “cc” the number of centiseconds (1/100 of a second). To import audio events, select both your music and your text file in Windows explorer, and drag both over the timeline. The text file must have the file ending “txt”.
May 1, 2020 (22.214.171.124)
- Resizing of the FWsim window is now very fast.
- “Fronts” now named “Positions”. The change also performed in the German, Italian and French translations.
- Incorporated bugfix from the current v2: Fireworks on building would not be set to the correct height when the “scaling” in the world editor was set to something other than 100%.
- You can now load 3D models by selecting the model file (in previous versions of FWsim, you always needed to pack your model into a ZIP file).
- Search function in effect selection now searches for individual words. For example, can type “Mine Red” and will see “Red Mine” in your results.
Only in FWsim Pro:
- More label print improvements
- You can now select label print “per module”, “per igniter” or “per cue”. “Per igniter” is new and shows, among other things, information about chains created with the new chaining feature.
- Paper size: Landscape formats available
- When using the “per cue” format, the angle is now displayed visually, and the text layout is improved.
- Address field in PDF or HTML export now indicates “chained” for cues in chains
- “Text comment” option moved from main menu into the toolbox.
April 16, 2020 (126.96.36.199)
- New Design
- Timeline completely rewritten and greatly improved:
- Large shows open much quicker
- Dragging and zooming are now completely smooth
- The Height of the timeline can be changed (simple drag the dividing line between timeline and 3D view)
- You can now zoom by holding the CONTROL key and using the mouse wheel
- You can move in time by clicking and holding the MIDDLE mouse button over the timeline, and then moving the mouse.
- When dragging cues, FWsim waits until the mouse has moved at least 3 pixels before moving the cue. This is to prevent accidential movement of cues.
- When dragging cues, you can move them to the right or left edges of the timeline to scroll. You can also move them down or up to scroll vertically (if there are enough tracks so that vertical scrolling becomes active).
- In previous versions of FWsim, you could add more tracks by simply dragging a cue downwards. This is still possible, but now you can also click “Show -> Add More Tracks” or simply press CTRL+SHIFT+N to add extra empty tracks.
- In previous versions of FWsim, the music was displayed within the timeline. In FWsim 3, additionally the music is now visible on top of the timeline. To avoid seeing it twice, simply right-click on the empty background and un-check “Display Music in Timeline”. To change the size of the music on top of the timeline, right-click into the top area of the timeline (where the time indicators are) and select a size.
- Add music to timeline by dragging and dropping the audio file from Explorer
- New music file formats supported: AAC, M4A, MP4, WEBM, FLAC. This is in addition to the other formats previously supported (WAV, MP3, OGG, AIFF).
- Peonies look more realistic and more clean. Additionally, there is a slider in the effect editor under “Stars” to adjust how clean the shape of the peony looks.
- Undo and Redo for most functions in the show editor
- Warning before deleting a position that is in use
- Less stuttering when you have lots of effects
- A search box in the effect selection window
- Improved performance: Application starts faster, effect editor opens quicker, loading large shows is faster. The effect selection window also opens quicker.
- Option to rename effects from within the effect selection window
- Removed “selection mode” button. When adding a single firework or stepper, FWsim now inserts only one copy of a cue by default, and then switches back to the normal mouse cursor. If you want to add multiple cues with the same firework, click “Single Firework” or “Stepper” and then tick the checkbox in the right lower corner. You can then add multiple cues, and when you’re done, simply right-click on the timeline to get the normal cursor back.
- Timeline zooming with CTRL + Mouse Wheel
- Option in the preferences to mark the area in the 3D view that will be visible on video export
- Effect preview images look a bit nicer
- Effects that are not found show up in grey in the show
Only in FWsim Pro:
- Channel information is now displayed as a small red box on top of the cues
- Possibility to add chains. When you chain effects together, only the first cue of each chain will receive a channel on the firing system. To set this up, click a cue and press CTRL+D, then click the cue you want to connect to. Alternatively, select two or more cues and press CTRL+D to chain them all together.
- Label Export:
- Options for commonly used paper sizes.
- Dimensions are now in inches for users in the US.
- New label export format displaying more information.
- Settings are remembered.
- Module numbers for Cobra firing system can now start at zero.
Known Problems and Deficiencies in this version:
- In version 3, it is no longer possible to copy and paste cues between different shows. We will re-enable this functionality shortly, with an update in the near future. This update will be released towards the end of July.
The old changelog, for FWsim 2, can be founded here