This changelog is for the old FWsim 2 version.
This version is no longer updated.
Learn more about FWsim 3.
View the new v3 changelog.
Version 126.96.36.199 (June 2020)
- “License info and upgrade” in Help menu. Use this to upgrade to FWsim v3.
Version 188.8.131.52 (May 2020)
Version 184.108.40.206 (March 2020)
- On some systems, distance measurements would be in Imperial units even though “Metric” was selected in the preferences.
- Some issues with 3D models.
Version 220.127.116.11 (February 2020)
- Support for imperial distance units (all measurements in feet instead of meters). This is automatically detected from your operating system settings. You can also change the units in the preferences.
- Fixed rare crash when loading particular 3D models
- The functionality “Snap cues to other cues” is now OFF by default on new installations.
- The tab headers in the sidebar are now all visible at the same time, without the need to click around to see them all.
- Fixed error message when selecting both a single firework and a stepper in the timeline, and clicking “Change Firework”.
- Fixed crash when table view is open and another show is opened.
- Fixed inconsistent behaviour: Previously, when changing the channel of a single shot manually, the channel was locked. However, when channels on a stepper were changed, no lock was applied. Now, in both cases a lock is applied automatically.
Version 18.104.22.168 (February 2020)
- Italian translation
- Better error messages in several places
- Bugfix: Usually, fireworks automatically jump to the correct height when dragged over buildings. However, this did not work correctly when the building was scaled up or down in the 3D world editor. This problem is now fixed.
- Bugfix: Fixed a crash that would occur when using extremely large numbers of fireworks with lots of sparks.
- Bugfix: Label Export preview image not showing
Version 22.214.171.124 (January 2020)
- Video export now supports 4K quality. If you’re uploading to YouTube, we recommend selecting 4K.
- Video export settings were removed from the Preferences window. Instead, they now pop up to be adjusted before each video export.
- Video export is now faster.
- Video export produces slightly bigger files with slighly higher quality.
- Fixed crash when importing show data
Version 126.96.36.199 (January 2020)
- When installing FWsim for the first time, video quality is set to Very High.
- FWsim now closes correctly before running an automatic update.
- When installing FWsim for the first time, “snap cues to other cues” is activated.
- Implemented several suggestions made by company ARDI SA from France.
Version 188.8.131.52 (November 2019)
- From now on, Windows Vista or later is required to run FWsim (Windows XP is no longer supported).
- Using new version of the Microsoft .NET Framework. This provides slightly better performance, and fixes a rare problem where on some systems, FWsim would crash on startup.
- FWsim Pro: When exporting to Explo, the same cue can now be fired multiple times.
Version 184.108.40.206 (October 2019)
- Bugfix (all editions): The DELETE key sometimes did not work in the timeline
- Bugfix (Pro edition): When selecting multiple cues and changing the size or color, the changes sometimes don’t get applied
- Pro edition: Support for the Ignis firing system
Version 2.4 (April 2019)
Update for FWsim Pro:
- Logo Position and Size can be changed
- Firing Plan can now be generated as PDF file
- Price Calculation while you’re editing a show (to use that, please activate it under Preferences, then add your price data in the fireworks database)
- DMX cues with flamejets and lights (can only be exported with Firetek and Piroshow systems) – demo video
- Fixed problem where if “snap to other cues” is activated, the import of shoes doesn’t work properly
- Fixed problem where Firestorm export doesn’t work properly if an effect name contains a comma.
- When selecting several cues at once, their size and color can now be changed together
- Firetek system: Can now send data directly to the system via USB – demo video
- Firetek system: When exporting data as a file, you can now select extra fields of data. This is useful when you export data to the Firetek Android app.
- Labels can now be generated for modules or rails too (not just individual cues).
- Pyromac system: Can now export multiple segments. Segments can be defined by inserting text comments having the text >> – demo video
- Firestorm system: Warn if the music is longer than the cues (In this case, the Firstorm music player will stop the music at the last cue)
- When selecting “Change firework” and previously filters have been selected in the effect selection dialog, AND the currently selected effect is included in those filters, then the filter remains active. (Previously, all effects were displayed and the filter ignored).
- Firetek system: It is now possible to produce a separate file for every module.
- Effect Editor: Height can now be displayed for fountains.
- It is now possible to manually set a cue to “no channel”. To do this, simply enter “-“ in the address box and press ENTER. Please make sure the lock is set, so that the automatic channel assignment doesn’t change this later.
- Import of Firetek shows now possible
- Effect Selection: Comets and Mines are now distinguished
- Background image can now be made much darker if desired
- Extra effects data (for example, price or manufacturer) can be imported from Excel files. This functionality is available from the “Fireworks Database” window.
Version 2.3.8 (January 2018)
- Entire software available in French language.
- New Cake shape: V
- Cobra firing system: When selecting version 4, the time is exported with two decimal digits for the seconds (giving 10ms accuracy)
- Adjustments to several other firing systems, based on customer feedback
Version 220.127.116.11 (November 2017)
- Now supporting the Genetec firing system
- Better automatic channel assignment, taking into account the need to combine different cues if they are fired simultaneously on the same module.
- Fixed: The problem where the “effect color / size” of two cues might be inadvertedly changed together if multi-monitor is open.
- Effect library dialog: Filtering is now case-insensitive (‘Company’ and ‘company’ are treated as identical)
- Label printing: New format available that displays angle.
- Preferences: Possible to add additional effect library locations, and to change the location where effects are saved. If used in combination with folder sharing software (like DropBox), this allows to synchronize effects on different computers.
Version 2.3.7 (July 2017)
- Fixed problem with online database
- Support for export to the PyroStudio software
- Functionality to use specific pin ranges on modules for specific positions. This can be used, for example, if one module serves multiple positions using multi-core cables.
- Better error messages for automatic channel assignment
- HTML firing plan: It can now be configured which pieces of data will show up for effects.
- HTML firing plan: Summary of modules now uses only the modules which are actually used in the show (Not all modules that are defined).
- HTML firing plan: Can be grouped by position or module.
Version 2.3.6 (April 2017)
- Import of Explo shows
- Export for the RJ Equipamentos system
- Effect editor: custom effect data (e.g. manufacturer, price) is cleared when creating a copy of the effect.
- New video rendering system. The produced video files now look better and work on all players.
- Size of effect editor window can be changed
- Fixed problem where sometimes fireworks or smoke would appear behind buildings.
- Cake editor: Option to randomly repeat items in a cake
- Cake editor: Duration of cake is displayed
Version 18.104.22.168 (February 2017)
- Option to import camera moves from external 3D applications. (Currently, this feature only supports import of Collada files exported by Cinema 4D, where every frame is baked as a keyframe.)
- Support for the Pyromac firing system
- Can now put fronts higher than 400m. (The slider only goes to 400, but you can enter any number into the textbox).
- Fixed rare smoke rendering crash (thanks to Oliver R.)
- Reduced ground brightness in effect editor.
Version 2.3.5 (November 2016)
- PDF Label export
- HTML firing plan can now be grouped by position
- Improved handling of assigning modules to specific positions
- Option to display the current playback time in the 3D view
- Option to always display front names
- X and Y position can now be added to HTML or CSV export
- Fixed problems with missing scrollbars
- Added a hidden option to disable sound effects when rendering a video. If enabled, the video will contain the music only. This option is not accessible from within FWsim, you have to edit the configuration file. Instructions: Close FWsim. Open the file “My Documents” - “FWsim” - “user.xml”. Search for the line with “VideoExport_SoundEffectsEnabled” and change “true” to “false”. Re-start FWsim.
- Improved YouTube upload functionality
- Better Thumbnails for effects
- 22.214.171.124: More 3D models can be loaded. This especially affects some 3D models from “3D Warehouse”, which failed to load previously. If FWsim failed to load your model previously, try it again. If it still doesn’t work, please send us your 3D model.
Version 126.96.36.199 (June 2016)
Update for FWsim Pro:
- New firing system: Piroshow.
- New firing system firmware: Cobra firmware v4 supported. If you’re using v4, please select “Cobra v4” as your firing system. For Cobra v3 and earlier, select “Cobra”.
- Improved export for Fireone.
Version 2.3.4 (April 2016)
- “Back to Beginning” button
- Camera Moves are easier to use now
- “Enter time” for cue (accessible via right-click)
- Japanese translation
Improvements specific to FWsim Pro:
- New firing system: FireStorm
- New firing system: Merlinfire
- Data export for FireOne improved
- HTML firing plan contains a list of modules
- In exported plans, angles are now displayed in a more readable way
- Easier-to-use export functionality
Version 188.8.131.52 (February 2016)
- FWsim Pro: Improved HTML and CSV export (allowed international characters, better formatting, more columns available)
- FWsim Pro: Fixed problem relating to automatic address assignment.
Version 184.108.40.206 (July 2015)
- Fixed problem with certain 3D models using transparent textures
Version 220.127.116.11 (June 2015)
- Blinking Bengals
- Option to change the size of ascent stars
- Made launch flames smaller
- Reduced random variations in shell flight heights.
Version 18.104.22.168 (November 2014)
Version 22.214.171.124 (October 2014)
- New, high-resolution 3D backgrounds.
- Ring Shells look better
- New “startup time” option for fountains.
- Option to remove empty time from the show.
- Improvements to cue selection in the show editor.
- FireOne and Graffiti export
Version 2.3.3 (July 2014)
Are you looking for the “batteries” button in the toolbox?
In previous versions of FWsim, you could create steppers that fire at random times using a special “battery” cue. This “battery” has now been removed. Instead, please use the Stepper, and set the timing to “Random Times” using the box on the right, at the bottom.
- Video rendering uses multiple CPU cores and is up to 2x faster.
- It is now possible to select multiple cues, either by holding the SHIFT key or by dragging a rectangle using the left mouse button. Most operations (copy, paste, moving, changing the firework) can be performed on multiple cues at once.
- Export to the Cobra, Pyroleda and SkyDirector systems
- Improved automatic channel assignment: You can now assign assign modules to one or several firing positions. These modules then only get assigned to cues on that position.
- Pyrosure pins are now assigned using the format “letter number”; e.g. A1, A2, and so on
- Table view always highlights the currently selected cue, and is always sorted by time.
- Explosion time available as a column for HTML and CSV export.
- 3D ruler in the show editor, showing you the exact dimensions of your show.
Version 126.96.36.199 (May 2014)
- On 64-bit Windows, FWsim can now use all available memory. Previous versions of FWsim were limited to 2GB. This allows for larger shows, larger 3D worlds, and improved performance overall.
- FWsim will now display a progress bar whenever effect thumbnails are generated.
- Pro edition: Fixed problem with Pyrosure channel assignments.
Version 188.8.131.52 (January 2014)
- New option Show -> Insert Time to insert empty space into your show.
- In the “Program Files\FWsim\Resources” directory, the installer now overwrites files only if they have not been changed. This enables you to modify the graphics of FWsim without them getting overwritten on every update.
- Fixed: Video export crashes without comment when the display is set to 16-bit mode. FWsim will now detect this situation automatically.
- Pro edition: Some additional data export usability improvements.
- Pro edition: When changing a stepper’s export mode from multi-channel to one-channel and repeating the automatic channel assignment, all channels except the first are now deleted (as long as they are not locked).
Version 184.108.40.206 (November 2013)
Several bug fixes.
- The free-moving 3D camera is now rotated using the middle mouse button. The middle mouse button also has to be pressed in order to use the W/A/S/D keys for movement.
- Fixed problem where cues would display at the wrong time in very long shows.
- Fixed: When using a 2D background image, the fireworks were at different positions in video export, relative to the background image. With new shows, this behaviour is improved. With old shows, the old behaviour is used in order to not change the look of existing shows. read more about the new “image alignment” option
- Fixed crash when exporting a video for the same show twice while shadows are enabled.
Version 220.127.116.11 (October 2013)
- Pro edition: Export functionality for the Pyrosure firing system (still in beta, please let us know about your experiences)
- Pro edition: Option to disable automatic assignment of channels before export
- Various bugfixes
Version 2.3.2 (September 2013)
- Online Fireworks Database: Click Tools -> “Online Fireworks Database” to share your firework effects with the FWsim community, and download effects from others.
- Filtering and Grouping in the effect library
- Several minor improvements to the Pro edition
Version 2.3 (June 2013)
- Smoke simulation and building shadows in videos (activated via Tools > Preferences)
- RAM usage reduced.
- Stepper duration is now unlimited. Just enter an arbitrary number in the textbox.
- Fixed synchronization problem between music and effects
- 3D Models: Solid Colors are now displayed correctly (some 3D models define solid colors instead of using textures)
- Effects Editor:
- Dimensions of effects can be viewed using View > Show Dimensions
- Numerous cake editor improvements (w-shaped, custom delay between shots, the variance is adjustable, and it’s now possible to duplicate a selection of entries)
- Ascent stars can be added to shells
- Strobing and Crackling Tails
- Very short tails can be built. For that, reduce the “burn duration variance” in the tails node.
- Speed of crackling and crossette can be adjusted. By default, it is set to “Auto”.
- Drag-and-drop in the effect tree. Copy-and-paste is also available.
- Arbitrary color for crackling
- A new “birthtime” slider allows stars to appear later
For more information on the new effects features, please refer to the Effect Editor Manual, where all the parameters are explained in detail.
- Mortars can be angled in all directions
- Manual height for fronts
- Effect data from the fireworks database can be changed on a per-cue level
- All window positions are remembered and restored on restart
- Custom comments can be added to cues
- New firing systems: Galaxis, Pyroleda
- 81 real effects from the German manufacturer Blackboxx are available. Please re-download and install the extra effects from your license page.
Version 18.104.22.168 (current stable version, November 2012)
Further small improvements and bugfixes.
- Greatly improved music synchronization. Music and Effects should now be in sync up to 10ms accuracy.
- Bugfixes and Usability Improvements
- Steppers up to 60sec and longer burning stars now possible
Pro and Game Update: 2.2.4 (November 2012)
- All the new features mentioned below
Pro and Game Beta Update: 22.214.171.124 (August 28, 2012)
- Installing updates is now automatic. (FWsim asks for permission before downloading any updates, and you can disable the automatic update check in the preferences).
- In the Pro edition, it is now possible to render to PNG files.
- Several usability improvements.
Pro Beta Update: 126.96.36.199 (July 19, 2012)
- Tourbillon mines can now be angled
- Waveforms are generated in the background and will not freeze the main window.
- Faster Zooming in the timeline
- Fixed a problem where music was cut at the end when using very long music. As a consequence of this, the maximum zoom level is now limited when using very long audio files.
- For HTML and CSV, the data fields can be changed in Tools -> Preferences. It is also possible to include data from the effects database.
Pro Beta Update: 188.8.131.52 (July 13, 2012)
- Front is shown in exported HTML and CSV
- An Option under “Preferences” to snap cues to other, existing cues (disabled by default).
- Waveform display works even with long audio files.
Pro Beta Update: 184.108.40.206 (June 19, 2012)
- Various improvements and bugfixes
- Fireworks can be placed on top of buildings
Pro Beta Update: 220.127.116.11 (May 2012)
- Explo Plugin: Music can be exported as a separate channel
Game Update: 18.104.22.168, March 5th, 2012
- Fixed Error with video rendering not stopping at 100%
- When graphics card is not supported or video driver is missing, FWsim now displays a more helpful error message.
- Several minor improvements and bugfixes.
Show Editor and Fireworks Placement
- Front lines are visible in the 3D view
- To edit front lines, you can drag them in the 3D view
- You can place fireworks anywhere, not just onto the front lines.
- Fireworks can be moved between fronts just by dragging. They automatically snap to fronts. You can disable this by holding the CTRL key.
- Height of tracks in the timeline can be adjusted (under “Preferences”)
- The waveform of music is displayed directly in the timeline.
- FWsim can visually show when exactly an effect is visible in the sky. This is disabled by default, you can enable it under “Preferences”.
- The “Align with Beats” checkbox was removed. Cues automatically snap to beats. (Create beats by right-clicking on Music and selecting “Beat Configuration”). To move a cue without snapping, hold the CTRL key.
- Automatic YouTube Upload
- Small bubbles pop up to help new users getting started. They only appear a few times.
- Automatic Update Check every 7 days. You can disable this under “Preferences”.
- Cakes can be angled
- Option to rotate stars within a shell. Now it is possible to make shells where the left half is one color and the right half is another color.
- Shell of Shells: The shape can be changed (e.g. ring, heart), just like with stars.
- Crossette with Tails is now possible
- Crossette with invisible stars is now possible
- Faster Effect Selection Popup
- Faster fireworks rendering, especially on slow graphics cards
- Option to disable VSYNC. Disabling VSYNC will lead to better performance on most computers.
- Fixed: Rotation slider in World Editor shows “90°” when the rotation really is 180°.
- Fixed: 3D Models not visible in the first frame of a video.
- Playback cursor has a new design.
- Fixed: Mortars jump when clicking them in the 3D View.
- Fixed: Mortars can be moved out of sight.
- Fixed: Several other bugfixes.
- Fixed in X.X.X.Y: 3D models that define colors instead of textures are now displayed correctly.
Version 2.1.17 (June, 2011)
- The time is displayed on top of the timeline.
- 3D objects are now loaded by FWsim that previously caused problems.
- Miscellaneous bugfixes and small improvements.
Version 2.1 (February 28th, 2011)
- New 3D World Editor: Import 3D Models and arrange them however you like! You can find free 3D Models at Google Warehouse.
- Video rendering is 3-4x faster
- Video size can be changed in Tools -> Preferences
- New Camera Mode: “FreeCamera”, which is controlled by mouse & keyboard
- Use “Very High” quality setting for motion blur
- When you edit a camera move, you always edit the end position. To make that clear, FWsim automatically jumps to the end of that move.
- Changed behaviour: Music is inserted automatically, you don’t have to click into the timeline
- Recovery system: Should FWsim not exit correctly, you can always get your show file back.
- Click Help -> Update to check for new version.
- Lots of small improvements and bugfixes
Version 2.0 (November 11th, 2010)
2.0.8 (January 3rd, 2011)
- Several Bugfixes
- Cakes can be angled
2.0.7 (December 28th, 2010)