Join FWsim Version 3 Betatest
Get early access to new features and improvements
We have worked hard on FWsim 3 - our biggest update so far.
What’s New in FWsim 3
Design and Usability
- Completely new Design
- FWsim looks much better on displays with high pixel density.
- Sidebar width and timeline height can be changed.
- Functionality to setup beat markers in the music is now easier to use.
- Shortcut CTRL+HOME to go back to beginning of the show.
- “Fronts” renamed to “Positions”.
- New music file formats supported: AAC, M4A, MP4, WEBM, FLAC. This is in addition to the other formats previously supported (WAV, MP3, OGG, AIFF).
- Add music to timeline by dragging and dropping the audio file from Explorer
- Warning before deleting a front that is in use
- Easier handling of multiple cue insertions: If you want to add multiple cues with the same effect, click the box at the bottom right of the effect selection window.
- Option to show the area in the 3D view that will be visible on video export - this helps you select the perfect viewing area for your videos.
- Effects that are not found show up in grey in the show
Timeline completely redesigned and greatly improved
- Large shows open very quickly
- Dragging and zooming are now completely smooth
- You can now zoom by holding the CONTROL key and using the mouse wheel
- You can move in time by clicking and holding the MIDDLE mouse button over the timeline, and moving the mouse.
- When dragging cues, FWsim waits until the mouse has moved at least 3 pixels before moving the cue. This is to prevent accidential movement of cues.
- When dragging cues, you can move them to the right or left edges of the timeline to scroll. You can also move them down or up to scroll vertically (if there are enough tracks so that vertical scrolling becomes active).
- Music is now displayed on top of the timeline, so that it’s always visible
- You can now click “Show -> Add More Tracks” or press CTRL+SHIFT+N to add extra empty tracks.
Effect Selection Window
- Search box
- Opens faster
- Layout improved, bigger size by default, and its size can now be changed.
- When selecting an effect to insert, the effect selection window now remembers the previously selected effect.
- Option to rename effects from within the effect selection window
Effects and Simulation
- Peonies look more realistic and more clean. Additionally, there is a slider in the effect editor under “Stars” to adjust how clean the shape of the peony looks.
- Shape shells (smiley, letters, etc…) - create a Shell and select “Custom Shape”. Click the black image, and FWsim will open MS Paint where you can draw your own shape!
- Cakes can now have multiple parts. This allows combination of different shapes and timings. Use the arrows on the top of the cake editor to move between the different parts and edit them separately.
- Stars can be made larger and speed increased up to 200%
- Crossette looks nicer now
- Crossette and Crackling receive momentum from the star they are attached to. If a star burns out while it still has considerable speed, the crossette or crackling will continue moving into the same direction.
- New option under “Preferences” to make the timing very precise - use this if you prefer a more precise and less realistic simulation.
- Less stuttering when you have lots of effects
More capabilities in FWsim Creative Edition
- FWsim Creative Edition now allows to put cues on arbitrary heights, and rotate your fireworks in 3D - features previously only available in the Pro edition.
- Undo and Redo for most functions in the show editor
- Better Label export format
- The size of comments in the timeline can be changed.
- Feature to insert empty cues while playing back the music - by using the hotkey CTRL+G.
- Paper size options for PDF export
- Channel information is now displayed as a small red box on top of the cues
- Possibility to add chains. When you chain effects together, only the first cue of each chain will receive a channel on the firing system. To set this up, click a cue and press CTRL+D, then click the cue you want to connect to. Alternatively, select two or more cues and press CTRL+D to chain them all together.
- Firing systems: RFRemotech (new), Pyrodigy (new), PyroIgnitionControl (improved)
- Possibility to import audio events from text file. Each line of the text file corresponds to one event, and each line must exactly match the format “mm:ss:cc”, where “mm” is the number of minutes, “ss” the number of seconds and “cc” the number of centiseconds (1/100 of a second). To import audio events, select both your music and your text file in Windows explorer, and drag both over the timeline. The text file must have the file ending “txt”.
- “Select all Cues” feature in Show menu - you can use this, for example, to quickly delete all cues from the show and start again.*
- “Insert show”: Functionality moved to menu bar. Plus, the functionality now inserts all the individual cues from the other show. (In previous versions, it would insert one very large cue containing all the elements).
- Address field in PDF or HTML export now indicates “chained” for cues in chains
- “Text comment” option moved from main menu into the toolbox.
- You can now select label printing “per module”, “per igniter” or “per cue”. “Per igniter” is new and shows, among other things, information about chains created with the new chaining feature.
- When using the “per cue” format, the angle is now displayed visually, and the text layout is improved.
- Channels are automatically updated before label export. (Previously, channels would only automatically update when exporting to firing systems)
- Dimensions now in inches for users in the US
- FWsim loads much faster.
- Many windows open faster, including the effect editor and the effect selection window.
- When an update is found, you will see a list of all the changes before deciding whether to update or not.
- You can now load 3D models by selecting the model file (in previous versions of FWsim, you always needed to pack your model into a ZIP file).
- Dozens of small bugfixes and improvements